Pollution is the introduction of harmful poisonous substances into the environment.
Out of the several types of pollution that are prevalent in today’s world, air pollution is the major problem that we face every day.
The smoke from vehicles and factories has polluted the air we breathe in, leaving us searching for tips to protect ourselves from the pollution, for which we are directly or indirectly responsible!
Exposure to pollution may cause allergies and infections and may also affect the lungs, proving fatal in the long run. Pollution also affects the throat, nose, and eyes.
To protect your eyes from the fatal effects of pollution, use antibiotic eye drops. You can easily find them at the nearest Healthskool Pharmacy store or website.
Here are some tips to help you to protect yourself from pollution.
- Keep your windows closed: Keeping your windows closed avoids smoke and dirt from entering your house. Using fans to help the circulation of the air would be a great idea. Filters could also be used to remove dust particles from the air. If your surroundings are pollution-free, keep your windows open to let in the fresh air.
- Plants that purify the air: Plants like chrysanthemum, English ivy, and pea lilies are truly nature’s gifts! They help to purify the air around, giving out fresh air. Keeping these plants indoors would not only purify the air but would also give your home an attractive and fresh look!
- Avoid certain chores: Certain chores such as vacuuming and dusting could kick up dust particles causing the indoor air quality to degrade. So it is better to avoid these activities as much as possible.
- Use air purifiers: Air purifiers help to purify the indoor air by removing air particulates.
- Air filters: They filter the air that enters your home by removing impurities such as smoke. Air filters must be changed from time to time.
- Use a mask: It is important to wear a mask to protect your lungs and nose from the smoke and dust outside. To protect your skin, cover your face with a scarf or stole. Dust and impurities suspended in the polluted air outside can cause mild to severe skin problems and allergies. Use antimicrobial face wash to cleanse your skin.
- Proper food habits: A proper diet is important to keep yourself healthy and protect yourself from the adverse effects of pollution. Vitamins A, C, and E form a vital part of our diet. These vitamins protect the body from the harmful effects of toxins and help to repair the body. Cheese, eggs, milk, and yogurt are rich in vitamin A, while citrus fruits, broccoli, strawberries, potatoes, and peppers are a good source of Vitamin C. Cereals, nuts, seeds, soya, corn, olive oil, and sunflower provide vitamin E.
- Watch out before you step out: It is better to stay indoors when the pollution levels are high. Going out means exposure to toxins. So, it is better not to step out of the house if the air pollution levels are too high. There are certain apps available that keep you informed regarding the current day pollution levels in the city. So, plan your outings accordingly. During unavoidable situations, make sure you wear a mask.
Thus, these are some ways you can protect yourself from pollution. Apart from trying to protect ourselves from pollution, it is important that we try to reduce pollution. For short distances, try walking or cycling, instead of using cars or vehicles.
It is our planet, after all, and it is our duty to protect it!