Nowadays, online shopping has become an integral part of many people’s everyday lives. After all, you can buy almost anything online: clothes, shoes, televisions, smartphones, sofas – even groceries. A credit card is a good way to pay online conveniently.
With this, your bank grants you a short-term loan. Applying for a credit card score is very easy. However, you must meet certain requirements. t-online tells you what they are and what else you should pay attention to.
What does a credit card bring me?
The main advantage of a credit card is that – as the name suggests – it provides you with short-term interest-free credit . A standard credit card, also known as a charge card, works like this: When you make purchases with a credit card, your bank advances the amount. It only debits it from your account at the end of the month. You will therefore receive a credit card statement at the end of the month .
In this way, you can shop much more flexibly without realizing large losses on the account over the course of the month. This is useful, for example, if you get your salary transferred at the end of the month, which immediately clears the credit card statement.
- International health insurance: In these cases it is worth it
- Lost credit card: what can I do now?
- Important for online shopping: Here you will find the credit card security number
But be careful: Don’t lose track of your credit card payments and make sure that there is enough money in your account at the end of the month.
There are also so-called prepaid credit cards . These are aimed primarily at young people. Here you have to load a credit onto an associated credit card account. Because this is not a credit card in the classic sense, the requirements are often a bit more relaxed (see below).
- Loans for negative interest: It will be expensive for consumers
- Savings book and Co.: Why you should no longer rely on savings interest
Which conditions do I have to fullfill?
With every bank – and also with every single credit card offer – there are different details in the small print. However, the following basic conditions apply:
- Legal age: You must be at least 18 years old. Exceptions apply to prepaid credit cards.
- Residence: You must be resident in Germany in order to be able to obtain a credit card in this country.
- Creditworthiness: Your bank will use the credit card application to check whether you are creditworthy. If this is not the case, your bank will not issue you a credit card. The exception here is the prepaid credit card. You can often get these without a credit check.
How and where can I apply for a credit card?
If you want to apply for a credit card, you basically have two options: First, you apply for it at your house bank. Secondly, you apply for the credit card online at a direct bank. The process is slightly different depending on where you want to get the credit card.
- Poor Schufa score: How to increase your credit rating
- 13 to 16 digits: Here you will find your credit card number
- Negative interest rates: what is it and what does it mean for me?
Apply for a credit card at your local bank
Any consumer who would like to get a credit card can contact their bank. Customers usually get so-called charge cards from one of the two major providers Mastercard or Visa , which are linked to a current account. Your sales will be charged to the account once a month.
Here’s how it works
- Fill out an application form at your bank with your name, address and date of birth.
- Prove your identity , for example with your ID card, which you show to an employee.
- The bank may also ask for proof of salary . You must also submit these.
- Your creditworthiness will now be checked by a credit agency such as Schufa. The bank wants to make sure that you are solvent.
- You will receive your card in the mail .
Apply for a credit card online at a direct bank
You can also apply for a credit card online from a direct bank. Here the cards are sometimes significantly cheaper than at a branch bank due to lower fees. In addition, you do not have to go to the bank branch.
Here’s how it works
- Fill out an online form at the direct bank you have selected . Again, you must provide your name, address and date of birth.
- Prove your identity . There are usually two methods available for this: the Post-Ident or the Video-Ident method. With the Post-Ident procedure , you have to go to a post office and show your ID and credit card application there. With the video identification procedure , you can stay at home and show your ID to a direct bank service employee via video chat.
- In the case of the Post-Ident procedure, send the credit card application by post . In this case, you can hand it in and send it directly to the branch. With the video identification process, you will receive a code that you can enter online. Shipping by post is not necessary here.
- Then your credit rating will then be checked by a credit agency such as Schufa.
- You will receive your credit card in the mail .